Saturday 23 January 2016

Our Lady of the Sea Catholic Church, Port Maria, Jamaica


One of the things I love about Jamaica is it's abundance of beautiful churches.  In fact, Jamaica has more churches per square kilometre on this island nation than any other place on earth!  Because of this, it is actually known as "The Island of Too Many Churches", ha ha!  That's all well and good for me, cause I love churches, especially those with great architecture.  Without a doubt, Port Maria has three of my all-time favourites.  For those of you who don't know, Port Maria is a seaside town on the eastern coastline of Jamaica about a three hour drive from Montego Bay.  The church in my sketch is called "Our Lady of the Sea", and is located on Port Maria's Main Street.  It was constructed of wood around 1860, and is rather Victorian in style and design with a somewhat ornate if not weathered porch.  At the time when I did this sketch, we were waiting at the airport for our flight which had been delayed.  I was experiencing a major anxiety issue, and it's rather fortunate that the little church doesn't have many straight lines as my hands were trembling when I did this, ha ha!  I was rather proud of myself for managing to finish it, and it wasn't too shabby for about forty minutes work.  Please stay tuned for more church sketches as I produced quite a few while we were away.

As always, I hope you enjoy this post and thank you so much for reading it!

Sandy .......

  

No comments:

Post a Comment